The need for document review applications to support multiple languages is growing in today’s global economy. Litigation increasingly involves international organizations, which translates into document collections that contain multiple languages. Over the years, different encoding schemes have been developed to deal with the various character sets of each language. For example, the American Standard Code for Information Interchange (ASCII) is an encoding scheme originally based on the English alphabet. While ASCII worked well for the United States and a few other countries, several countries adapted the encoding scheme to support the unique characters in their language. Over time, the wide variation of encoding schemes across the globe caused problems with international organizations and a universal encoding scheme called Unicode was developed to unify the character sets.
CaseData is a Unicode‐compliant document review platform available from Océ Business Services that enables attorneys to support a matter with documents from multiple language sources such as Chinese, Japanese, Korean and Thai. The platform makes it easy to manage a document review with foreign languages because all of the functionality for English language documents also supports foreign language documents. Some of the highlights include:
• Automatic identification of the primary language of each document, allowing users to group documents together by their language and assign a reviewer who speaks the language of those documents
• Performing searches across multiple languages, with support for all search functionality such as full text, parametric /field and in‐line document searching
• Viewing documents in their native format and language
• Creating content in the native speaker’s language including folders, review calls and tags
• Keyword (persistent) terms highlighting
• Search term highlighting
• Importing and exporting load files to other review platforms that support Unicode
For more information on eDiscovery solutions, electronic discovery service best practices and other document management strategies feel free to visit http://www.ocesolutions.com.